cavity wall insultation for walls with bricks for wall ties?
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ngr
Labourer
Labourer

cavity wall insultation for walls with bricks for wall ties?

by ngr » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:03 pm

My house was built approx 1910 by the city council, and there is a double skin wall, but with bricks used as wall ties, 90 degrees to the walls, to link the outer and inner skins together. I am investigating cavity wall insulation, but there seem to be conflicting advice given to me.

- a surveyor from one company came round, drilled a hole, and he said that because there were bricks as ties there was a serious problem that damp could be introduced, and this could cause big problems. He said I could try asking another company to see if they would do it, but he wouldn't.

- several houses in my street with the same walls have had cavity insulation (seen by the marks left behind)

- today a surveyor from another company came round, and he said there would be no problems with damp, the brick ties didn't make any difference. He was suggesting that I use micro-wool.

What would you advise about cavity wall insulation for walls with brick ties? Also, would the choice of filler make any difference?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

insulation

by welsh brickie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:55 pm

my personal choice is polystyrene ball insulation is totally water resistant.The micro wool tends to hold water in the fibres

wookey
Apprentice
Apprentice

by wookey » Thu May 19, 2011 1:15 am

Are there a lot of tie-bricks? Each one will be a terrible thermal bridge, and I'd really look at internal or external insulation, which is a much better-performing solution anyway. Cavity is cheap and easy, but the gains are quite limited.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:33 am