Architect's fees for small extension
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ring_the_alarm
Labourer
Labourer

Architect's fees for small extension

by ring_the_alarm » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi,
I recently received a quote of £750 from an architect for a small single storey extension to our house, measuring 2m x 3.5m. He's an individual architect, but experienced. This price includes all the drawings for planning and building regs, but *not* the charges for the planning and building reg submissions themselves. Is this a reasonable price, or is this too expensive? I have given him all the original plans of the house from when we did our last extension.
Please give me advice; thanks in advance!!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:48 pm

ring_the_alarm,
Using an architect for your extension is OTT.
See if you can find an architectural technician and ask for a price.
end

gc9
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Architect's fees for small extension

by gc9 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:07 am

I am not surprised by the quote you got but as stoneboy suggested you could ask a architectural technician - they are usually cheaper. You don't have to consult and architect for a house extension.

AdaptArchitecture
Labourer
Labourer

by AdaptArchitecture » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:24 pm

HI,
I wouldn't advise going down the building notice route unless its a really straight forward job. The issue I would have is how would the client be able to get a realistic price without detailed architectural & structural drawings. We always advise our clients to go down the full plans application route, as this enables the most accurate quotes, prior to work commencing on site. I would agree you don't necessarily need an architect, as there are many competent designers and technicians out there. I would suggest just as you would check out a builder, check out the architectural company you are considering hiring. Ps. What a great online resource, I think we will be promoting the contract shown on this site, as it really seems to be a great idea.

andybob
Labourer
Labourer

by andybob » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:38 pm

Hi,
I am a Building Surveyor and I produce plans such as this in my spare time.

£750 is probably a bit steep but you are paying for a professional. However, as the others have suggested an architect is over qualified for this project.

I would be happy to produce drawings for you, or anybody else on the site, for a much more reasonable price.

Please get in touch
Andy

bernie23
Labourer
Labourer

by bernie23 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:58 pm

Hello,
I am thinking of a loft conversion AND a two storey extension. Still in the initial 'thinking' stage but can anyone tell me the first step ( e,g, architect, builder, drawings...)
Also I see your post andybob but I am not sure how to get in touch.
cheers
bernie

andybob
Labourer
Labourer

by andybob » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Bernie,

It depends on how seriously you are thinking about it. If its one of those things where there is a good chance the building works may not happen I would get a builder to come round and give you a guesstimate. They will be able to tell you what a similar job has cost before, but be prepared for this price to be well of the actual cost if you were to commence as accurate quotes will need drawings. Its definitely not the best way to go about things but at least you haven't spent any money.

If your are seriously thinking about it I would talk to a professional and get some plans drawn up and then a builder can give you some accurate quotes. An architect would be over qualified for the job you have described though.

If you, or anybody else reading, would like me to produce some plans, or even just need some advice about anything property related my email is andywit_999@hotmail.co.uk. Send me an email and I'll be happy to do what I can.

Andy

bernie23
Labourer
Labourer

by bernie23 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:26 pm

Thanks Andy,
I have sent quote requests to a few builders ( members of Federation of Master Builders as mentioned on this site ) and obtained a list of local architectural technicians from The Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists website.
I will get quotes first and keep you informed.
cheers
bernie

michael alan
Apprentice
Apprentice

by michael alan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:15 pm

hi. youve done half tyhe work already by supplying the measurements off the original plans. avoid the bnuilding notice inless your 100%sure of what your doing . i am currently an architecturaldesigner quantity surveyor and produvt specifier and have drawn and submittedplans for both planning and building regsapproval then the client gets abuilder in who says he can do it on a building notice to save money withm the L.A.fees.
thats whenthe trouble starts never off the phone.i am and always will be a master builder. you need a scheduled working drawing prefferrably with a priced bills of quantities.

aclifford
Labourer
Labourer

by aclifford » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:23 pm

Last year I had my house renovated and I also was looking for an architect. Luckily, I stumbled upon a freshly graduated student who charged me 800£ and I was totally satisfied. Younger architects are thirsty for experience, but be careful. Just look around.

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 3:25 am