A new light fitting in a two way switched light -help please
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
B81563
Apprentice
Apprentice

A new light fitting in a two way switched light -help please

by B81563 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:53 pm

Hi,
I am trying to put a new light fitting into the hallway at home. The hall swirtches on down / upstairs.
I can see the two lighting feeding and the switch wires.
What I don't follow is the instructyions for the new light.
It has a live and neautral wire in a junction block. It says to connect the neuatral and the switched live to these. A spare block is provided to connect earths up but it also say 'a 4th block is provided should you need to make a loop connection. If used in this way insulate this block from the fitting'.
I don't understand what wires I connect into this 'loop' block. Would it be the live wires from the main light system (I can't see how it would then work?) and then where would the neutrals from the main light system go?
I know this is gonna be really simple but would appreciate some guidance.
Thanks
Nick

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:31 am

Hi Nick, you have 3 wires (reds?) that are 'looped in,' these being L in,
L out to next light, L to sws. these do not need to connect to your light!
you have 1 sw. L, which comes back from your sws. which goes in L term of light. this leaves 2 N's (blacks?) which both go in N term of light, these being N in & N out to next light, ( your sw. L should be red but may be black with red sleeving)
regards SPARX

B81563
Apprentice
Apprentice

by B81563 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:29 pm

Thanks Sparx - now sorted with your help.
One thing : it seems that previous owner / electrician had replaced the normal switch cable with 3 core and earth - the extra blue wire at the ceiling rose threw me. It appears they had installed an outside light and hadn't got a neutral connection so linked into the lighting system by using the 3c&e to this ceiling rose. Don't know if it's normal but took me ages to trace what was happening.
Thanks again,
Nick

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:56 am