Cold Radiator with hot output pipe.
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ThatLeighton
Labourer
Labourer

Cold Radiator with hot output pipe.

by ThatLeighton » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi

I've looked around this and other forums but have not found a discussion matching my issue. We have recently had a new extension to the house and as part of that a new radiator has been added to the system, in fact 3 New ones have. The problem lies with the new one in the kitchen, the others are working fine.

The radiator rarely heats up and never to any great temperature, however the pipe below the valve on the 'output' side is hot, as hot as the working radiators. The pipe below the input valve, the one with the thermostat, is cold.

Any ideas as to why this is, could the valves have been placed on the wrong sides!? Any advice is welcomed. Thanks.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Cold Radiator with hot output pipe.

by plumbbob » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:19 pm

ThatLeighton wrote:Any ideas as to why this is, could the valves have been placed on the wrong sides!?

Firstly, modern valves work either way round so they can't have been put on the "wrong"way round. The input is the one that is getting hot.

Does the radiator get warm at all? Either at the top or bottom?

Maybe the lock shield is shut down too far: try opening it up.

dbwoody
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Cold Radiator with hot output pipe.

by dbwoody » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:28 am

I would have thought the first thing you should do is try bleeding air out of radiator, air tends to migrate to the easiest spot.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1