Hotpoint CTD40 Heater/Parts
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
feisar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hotpoint CTD40 Heater/Parts

by feisar » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:32 pm

I have the CTD40G condenser dryer which no longer heats. The board on which the elements were wrapped around has broken causing the elements to touch each other, leading to sparks and now no heat. I have searched and found the part I need -C00260045 which is approx £50. I would hate to pay that kind of money (family of 4, elec, gas bills etc etc). My question is, were do all broken appliances go, surely they cant all be scrapped? If there were 2 faulty ones, I'm fairly sure you could make 1 working 1. Is there a charity maybe that provides washers/dryers to people that can't afford new?Does anyone know of someone who recycles parts from broken appliances and sells them on? Thanks in advance.

Phil33
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Hotpoint CTD40 Heater/Parts

by Phil33 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:23 am

Sadly Hotpoint appliances are not made to the same standard they were years ago and those heater elements are particularly flimsy. I have heard some owners have had success with fitting the heater from a slightly earlier model of Hotpoint dryer. These were altogether more sturdy with a proper steel casing and ceramic mounts for the heating spirals. Physically fitting the earlier heater is just a case of drilling a few holes for self tappers but you would need to be confident on the electrics side to make sure you identify which wire goes where.
As to your general question, far too many appliances go for scrap metal these days after three or four years use. This is not good for the planet as large amounts of energy will be expended in manufacturing a replacement machine. The type of recycling you suggest, making one working dryer from two faulty ones is much more environmentally friendly than melting down for raw materials but is not much encouraged by national governments.
You might find your local council has a shop selling second hand items, sometimes marked with two prices, a lower price for people on low income. These shops are partly aimed at helping homeless people get started in a new place but can also be useful finding new homes for items which would have gone for scrap.

tulip
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Hotpoint CTD40 Heater/Parts

by tulip » Tue May 01, 2012 12:50 pm

Already aware about this issue, as I can revealed that they do not make the same design for the Hotpoint heater in every year. They change the design and feature in every new year. That's why you are facing this annoying.
Well According to me the home appliance should not to be changed in every next year..

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:29 pm