Concrete posts wobbling
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gavski
Apprentice
Apprentice

Concrete posts wobbling

by gavski » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:16 pm

I have just had a 30m 6ft high fence erected - concrete post and panels. 4 of the posts seem a bit loose, you can move them from side to side by about an inch. The contractor used dry mix ballast, then watered it in.

Anyone know why 4 of the posts seem loose, will they harden up or have they been put in badly?
I have to say th over all quality and attitude of the contractors was poor and I'm worried they ma have done a shonky job?
Fortunately I have still to pay them

thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Concrete posts wobbling

by welsh brickie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:49 am

if you havent paid yet, DONT PAY,its your fence you paid for a job to be done correctly,and it hasent.
ask for the posts to be reset.

ConcreteDrBill
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ConcreteDrBill » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:45 am

Agree - DONT PAY

Just watering drymix concrete doesnt work, the top skin hardens but most of the fill stays dry. If the posts are not solidly fixed, the bond between the post and the 'concrete' is broken and will not re-form

Either use a concrete mix that is mixed with water (not too much), or one of the Postcrete type products that is designed to be placed in a water filled hole (have a look at http://www.diycement.com)

t smith
Labourer
Labourer

by t smith » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:27 am

If Just loose the dig round it as deep as possible then concrete it.

hopes that help

BuyersAssistant
Apprentice
Apprentice

by BuyersAssistant » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:55 pm

The posts should not move. This is bad workmanship...probably to do with the concrete not setting properly. Get them back to fix the problem.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Sep 06, 2024 5:21 pm