Acrylic primer
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Acrylic primer

by greengrass » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:09 am

For want of a better place being decorators acrylic.
Is there a black dye that can be added to the acrylic primer/undercoat to usse on art boards/canvas for underpainting in my art course where most underpainting is black for effects.
Gesso is twice the price so as ...here's the sob story....I'm on UK pension that should tell the UK residents something ( its a world forum). I've tried shops but get blank 'I don't really know' (Shop owner Concepter on Corronation streets famous words) when I ask.
Thanks in anticipation

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Acrylic primer

by theshedman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Hi, why not go to B&Q or similar and buy some black paint. Won't be any more expensive than getting a primer undercoat and a pot of dye to put in to it and will give you a better black. You can buy many different finishes in black so I am sure they will have one to suit your needs. If they don't have it in stock they will probably make it up for you.

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Acrylic primer

by greengrass » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi Theshedman thanks for your reply.

B&Q gave me a blank look when I asked they said we do grey acrylic primer but not black and don't have dye to add to either. Black paint is no good its a gloss and emulsion matt is only suitable for watercolour paintiing I'm starting in oils..

Now found a store that sells 1ltr of Black gesso for 2/3rds the price of just under half a ltr from online art stores, even the online one that has the shop 32kl round trip is pricey add to the cost of the gesso, parking and fuel it works out a formidable £19 for that small pot.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:51 am