Wall Decals
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
csum
Labourer
Labourer

Wall Decals

by csum » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Hello, I am new to this site. I want to decorate my hallway using wall decals and have the following questions:
Does this work/stick on textured wallpaper?
Are they removable?
Can they be cleaned?
Any site recommendations or feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Wall Decals

by theshedman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:45 am

Hi, and welcome to the site. Chances are that they will not stick properly because the paper is textured so they may fall off after a short time so that answers the second question as well. Being cleanable depends on the type you buy some are some not. If you have a spare piece of the paper you could try stenciling it and see how that comes out before using it on the hall itself that would be another way to brighten it up if it works or maybe a couple of coats of emulsion if it is the type of paper you can paint on.

csum
Labourer
Labourer

by csum » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:03 pm

thanks for the reply shedman...

it seems that i'll have to strip the woodchip paper (oh joy) any tips on that! i've seen what looks like vinal decals on a site called 3d-walldecals and they look like they are fitting them to painted walls, so i suppose i also got my answer from their video but was wondering if anybody had used anything like them before? they look quite cool and a cheeky way to make the wall look more interesting

look forward to your response

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:54 am

Hi, on removing the woodchip paper I usually score a wall then give it a couple of coats of warm soapy water and allow to soak in then I find it comes off quite easily. Before starting place some old newspaper along the bottom of the wall then when you come to clean up afterwards it is just a case of rolling the paper up to get rid of the mess. If you decide to paint the walls make sure that you get all the left over paste off the walls first. If the walls are not very smooth you may want to put up some lining paper and paint that. Your decals will stick fine to either finish. They do tend to take the plainness away from a painted finish and can often make the room look really nice. Just be careful not to put up too many as this can have the opposite effect.

csum
Labourer
Labourer

by csum » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:33 am

Hi, this is great, many thanks for your advice -much appreciated!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:33 am