periodic inspection report
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
katiesdad
Tradesman
Tradesman

periodic inspection report

by katiesdad » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:51 am

I had some kitchen and bathroom work done in march 2006, but did not know that I needed a certificate.
I now need a Periodic Inspection Report for the electrics. My electrician wants to put in RCB’s or change the consumer unit and install additional earthing cables. He has tested the whole flat, and it is safe, but does not come up to the 17th edition standard. He is keen and newly qualified, and seems to want me to have everything up-to-date. Once this is sorted I will be converting the loft, so will have to have all the electrics bought up the 17th edition anyway, but this work will involve moving the intake and consumer unit to a new position and it cant be done yet. Can he issue the certificate with advisory’s that it conforms to previous editions? Then anyone working on the electrics in future would be aware.
I am getting conflicting views on how the regs are interpoladed.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: periodic inspection report

by ericmark » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:27 pm

The Electricial safety council issue guide lines on line as to what should be passed and what should be classed as unsatifactory. The EICR electricial installation condition report has three rather than the four cataguries of the PIR perodic inspection report and the complies with previous edition has gone.

However even when the installation complies with 14th Edition and the BS7671 only started with 16th Edition one can with the right stickers and using class II lights still pass installations where there is no earth to the lights which was changed in I think 1968 so one would think by now owners would have had enough warnings with a PIR every 10 years to have updated.

Yet other items which to my mind are less dangerous still get unsatafactory. ESC Best Practice Guide No.4 Issue 3 is where to look.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:22 am