Damp Patch Near Door - Opinions On Causes
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sandy slade
Apprentice
Apprentice

Damp Patch Near Door - Opinions On Causes

by sandy slade » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:36 pm

I have been trying to combat a damp patch on my wall by my door for a couple of years now. It does not go as far as the front door frame, It does not come from the ground either. It does not come from the radiator. I am positive it comes from a post which is bolted to the outside of the house which has a gate on it. Can anyone offer any advice please how I can remedy the problem. Will I need to take the post, gate and fence panels out to sort it or could I just remove the bolt and squirt some outside sealant in there to seal it and re-insert bolt and use a de-humidifier to dry out damp patch?. Any help would be really appreciated . Thanks.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Damp Patch Near Door - Opinions On Causes

by welsh brickie » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:26 am

you can remove the post spray expanding foam on the back of the post and re attach it, You only need a bit don't go overboard, its waterproof so should do the job.

sandy slade
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sandy slade » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:07 pm

Thank you to the Welsh brickie who helped with your advice. I will try this. Thanks again. Sandy

sandy slade
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sandy slade » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:36 pm

Can the helpful Welsh brickie tell me can I use exterior sealant instead of expanding foam. I have exterior sealant now. Thanks

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:58 pm

The bolt is the cause of the problem.
Steel is a very good conductor of heat, and as both heat and water vapour always move to cold, the bolt is acting as a conductor of your heat to the outside and because the bolt is colder than anything else in the room all the water vapour in the room is making its ways to that cold area of the wall.
Solution, remove the bolt and fill the hole with spray foam.

sandy slade
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sandy slade » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:39 pm

Thanks Perry, I do not fully understand how you have explained it but can I not use exterior sealant instead ? It is supposed to be for jobs like this isn't it. Thanks. Sandy

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 5:33 am