Electric door bell not working
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
CJ
Labourer
Labourer

Electric door bell not working

by CJ » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:20 pm

Any idea why a door bell will no longer work. Can you tell me how to fix it or what to look for?

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Electric door bell not working

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:53 pm

[quote="CJ"]Any idea why a door bell will no longer work. Can you tell me how to fix it or what to look for?[/quote]

CJ
START WITH A FEW QUESTIONS.
U HAVE NOT STATED MAINS OR BATTERY ?
BATTERY TYPE, IF BATTERYS FINE, CHECK FOR COROSION OF CONTACTS IN BELL HOUSING, AND CHECK BELLPUSH FOR CONTINUITY. AND ALSO CHECK WIRING.
IF MAINS TRANSFORMER TYPE TO LOW VOLTAGE EG 6 V , HAS TRANSFORMER FAILED ? , IS BELL FAULTY, WIRING, BELLPUSH ECT.
CAUTION IF TRANSFORMER THE TYPE IN A MAINS BOARD.
MIGHT NEED EXPERT HELP TO LOOK AT ABOVE !
BLAKEY1963

CJ
Labourer
Labourer

by CJ » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:27 am

Thanks for reply - the subject "Electric door bell not working... " gives a clue to the fact that it is mains not battery. However I am not sure what you mean by "transformer" there is a wired box in the hallway that I think controls the "chimes" and another wired box in the hall cupboard - is this the transformer. Box boxes are white - the chimes cover comes off easily but the other box has screw fixings. If I unscrew and take this cover off - what should I be looking for?

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:01 pm

[quote="CJ"]Thanks for reply - the subject "Electric door bell not working... " gives a clue to the fact that it is mains not battery. However I am not sure what you mean by "transformer" there is a wired box in the hallway that I think controls the "chimes" and another wired box in the hall cupboard - is this the transformer. Box boxes are white - the chimes cover comes off easily but the other box has screw fixings. If I unscrew and take this cover off - what should I be looking for?[/quote]

CJ
MISSED THAT U ARE CORRECT POST DID SAY ELECTRIC DOORBELL
NOT WORKING. MY APOLOGIES.
TRANSFORMERS ARE MAINS RATED DEVICES AND CAN BE
BE A DANGER TO THE UNTRAINED , AND THE FACT U SAY THAT U R NOT SURE.
I THINK U NEED TO GET AN ELECTRICIAN TO LOOK AT IT FOR U.
BLAKEY1963

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:19 am