Cutting a Floating Wooden Floor Without Damage to the Plywood Underneath - How Best to do This?
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
1.fcn
Labourer
Labourer

Cutting a Floating Wooden Floor Without Damage to the Plywood Underneath - How Best to do This?

Post by 1.fcn » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:24 am

Dear all,

I need to cut out a rectangular area from my existing floating wooden floor. I have a circular saw with adjustable depth and know the thickness of the engineered floor.
However, how do I get the corners right? Since the blade of the circular saw is round (obviously), not all of the wood will be cut lower down once I reach the corner marking at the top - and I can not go beyond this marking, because the rest of the floor will remain visible. And I can't use a 'normal' hand saw to cut the remaining wood, because the plywood underneath will be (and has to remain) untouched.

Is the any special tool / saw allowing me to finish the corners cleanly without damaging the plywood underneath?

Thanks very much for any input.

Frank

keeflester
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Cutting a Floating Wooden Floor Without Damage to the Plywood Underneath - How Best to do This?

Post by keeflester » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:01 pm

You should buy a plunge cutting multi-tool. This will cut neatly into the corners, won't make much mess, and will become the new favourite tool in your toolbox. I have two, both Bosch, a 10.8v with rechargeable lithium ion battery and a 240v mains connected version. They are also available from Worx, Fein and sometimes even in ALDI. Hope this helps.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:40 pm