Damp in a Stone Cottage With Concrete or Vandex Render
Information, help and solutions to many issues encountered when converting barns and older buildings

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
devonlass
Labourer
Labourer

Damp in a Stone Cottage With Concrete or Vandex Render

by devonlass » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:34 am

Hi everyone - I am new to the forum. We have been renovating an old stone cottage, and the builders we used covered the house with vandex. All has been ok for a couple of years, however following the torrential rain, we have had some ingress of water above the windows (now filled).
Is this problem likely to get worse over time, as I have been told we should have used a breathable lime render (but this is time consuming and expensive to apply, which is maybe why our builder did not use it) I did email our builder, no reply ...
Is the only way round the problem to hack all the render off and re-do?
Many thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Damp in a Stone Cottage With Concrete or Vandex Render

by welsh brickie » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:47 pm

if you have had no trouble for 2 years and then had water appear, found the source then stopped it, I don't see why you should have to re plaster,

ruben93watson
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ruben93watson » Fri May 02, 2014 9:53 am

Give an intimation to the builder again and get the possible suggestion. A professional will be able to give you the right solution.

Bauwer
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Bauwer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:55 am

devonlass wrote:Hi everyone - I am new to the forum. We have been renovating an old stone cottage, and the builders we used covered the house with vandex. All has been ok for a couple of years, however following the torrential rain, we have had some ingress of water above the windows (now filled).
Is this problem likely to get worse over time, as I have been told we should have used a breathable lime render (but this is time consuming and expensive to apply, which is maybe why our builder did not use it) I did email our builder, no reply ...
Is the only way round the problem to hack all the render off and re-do?
Many thanks

My suggestion would be removing all impermeable materials, like sand cement render and replacing with highly permeable materials.

Regards, Alexander
Attachments
Benchmark 2.jpg

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:13 pm