Hot Water in Loft Conversion to New En-Suite Bathroom?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jpdwood
Labourer
Labourer

Hot Water in Loft Conversion to New En-Suite Bathroom?

by jpdwood » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 am

Hi

My 3bed semi has had a loft conversion, done by the previous owners, which I'm modifying. It was 2 single kids rooms and I'm making it a large master with an en-suite. We have a conventional, vented heating & hot water system (condensing boiler on ground floor, hot water cylinder on 1st floor airing cupboard and tanks on the 2nd floor).

I'm planning to put a shower and basin in the en-suite so the question is what is the best way of getting hot water to these. The tanks are mounted on the floor (of 2nd floor) so will be lower than the basin and shower.

My thoughts were fit a negative head pump on the hot water cylinder outlet (or just the feed to 2nd floor shower & basin??) - would this seem sensible or are there better ways?

Would it be better to change the system for a combi or un-vented hot water system instead? My only concern with this is flow rate if another tap or shower or washing machine is running, as they'd all be run off the mains. Plus the cost of equipment and install!

Thanks

J

AKOEps
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Hot Water in Loft Conversion to New En-Suite Bathroom?

by AKOEps » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:58 pm

Hi

I would always recommend un—vented hw Systems for pressure but also energy efficiency , Just ensure the mains pressure Is strong enough and that you have a decent flowrate

John

ruben93watson
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ruben93watson » Wed May 21, 2014 12:37 pm

I think the un-vented hot water system will be a better choice. As far as cost is concerned, I professional will be able to estimate the right quote.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed May 21, 2014 11:39 pm

There are three ways of solving this problem. Firstly, as everyone has suggested, change the system to unvented. Next would be the negative head pump option. Finally, how about fitting a small electric water heater to supply the basin and a big kw electric shower?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:58 pm