Prep before tiling shower tray
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fpmc123
Apprentice
Apprentice

Prep before tiling shower tray

by fpmc123 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:32 pm

Hello, I had a new shower tray fitted after tiles started coming off wall. One of the p'board walls came away so cement backer board was installed there. The plumber installed the tray with all the protective film over it, he said ready for the tiler. Only thing is he siliconed the film to the walls instead of the shower tray to the walls. Before the tiler arrives do I need to get that silicone off along with as much of the film as I can - the walls are built onto the tray so I won't be able to remove film completely off edges? I know the tiler applies silicone after tiling but I'm pretty sure the tray should be sealed to walls before tiling. Please help! Am scared the water will get through again and I'll end up having to get new walls and tiles put up for the third time.

Thank you.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Prep before tiling shower tray

by plumbbob » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:08 pm

The tray absolutely must have the film removed before installation. There are two reasons for this.

Firstly, there is every possibility there will be a leak as any seal will be as you say to the film and not the tray. The film will eventually decay in time separating from the tray and wall. What about the waste, is the film under that too?

Secondly, manufacturers instructions insist the the film is removed and the tray fully inspected for faults or damage before any installation takes place. Find a fault after the tray is fitted, and you are sunk.

I am baffled why he left the film in place. Did he forget? Did he not notice? Or does he believe it is ok to remove it later? What explanation did he give???

fpmc123
Apprentice
Apprentice

by fpmc123 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:54 pm

Thank you for responding. I wanted to wait for a reply before I contact the plumber - i asked a question when he was doing the work and he didn't appreciate it, I think he'll get extremely irritated again when I raise this with him tomorrow. He's been paid so he may just ignore my call. I knew it wasn't right but just needed confirmation from someone in the trade. The protective film has been pulled away around the waste area but left everywhere else on top of tray. I can only think he left the film on to protect it from the tile adhesive when the tiler comes in - but the actual film has a sticker on it in capital bright red letters saying remove before installation! I've been told to get a knife and take off around the wall and re silicone but I don't think I should have to put right his error. Paid an awful lot of money to get this done by a proper bathroom fitting company, the plumber's own business, I didn't want any more problems but looks like I've chosen wrong again!

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:56 pm

Something else I just noticed in your post.

fpmc123 wrote:...........the walls are built onto the tray.............

Really? That's not right. The tray should be up against the board so it is stuck to it. If it isn't, there is a chance the tiled board can separate from the wall the tray is fixed to.

Another thing, fixing the boarding like that will make the shower area smaller, and there is a chance the screen will be too big to fit in the remaining gap.

Oops.....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:29 pm