Toilet Waste Pipe Leak Repair - What Options are Possible?
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jonski99
Labourer
Labourer

Toilet Waste Pipe Leak Repair - What Options are Possible?

by Jonski99 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:47 pm

Hi,

my toilet waste pipe (cast iron) seems to be leaking, possibly just below ground level, so probably the clay pipe rather than the cast iron part.

I noticed the other morning some partially disolved toilet paper on the path near the bottom of the waste pipe. On closer inspection it seems to have flowed from a hole in the bottom of the house wall, behind and slightly to one side of the pipe.

So I guess some digging is in order. The path is tarmac on concrete and the bottom of the cast pipe is cemented generously around it onto the tarmac as well. I guess I'm just looking for some advice on how to start and what to look out for really. I'm think in of hiring an electric breaker in the next few days or maybe i'll leave it to the weekend.

If the clay pipe is broken what are my options? I think replacing the broken section could be tough, especially sealing it to the cast iron pipe. Is any kind of in-situ repair to the clay pipe feasible? Does it depend on the damage or is it just out of the question?

Is it possible the pipe runs under the house (from the back) to the main sewer at the front? I hope not, that could be complicated.

Thanks for any responses.

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Toilet Waste Pipe Leak Repair - What Options are Possible?

by proptech » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:14 pm

Hi Jonski99

Not much I can say until the matter has been investigated. I'm sure you've got it right that the clay has broken. You'll just have to see what's happened. There are a few types of connector that can be used between cast and clay, or plastic used to replace. Most are quite easy to use.
I would suggest a visit to a proper plumbers merchants, not a DIY store, for any materials.
Go easy on the concrete. It's possible that a lot of soil has been washed away
if the leak has been going for a while.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 11:20 pm