How to Repair Damaged Area of 1938 Ceiling Plasterboard
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dalchina
Labourer
Labourer

How to Repair Damaged Area of 1938 Ceiling Plasterboard

Post by dalchina » Sat May 02, 2015 9:30 am

Hi, the ceiling is original, and seems to be some sort of plasterboard. There's an area about 18" x 10" of the landing ceiling which appears to be damaged. The surface is papered and painted, and there is a crack. The plaster is dry, loose and cracked from the sound and feel when I push gently- elsewhere it's solid.

My guess is that when the loft conversion was done many years ago, someone knelt on it or put their foot on it.

Redoing the whole ceiling would be a massive piece of work- I was advised it would likely mean redecorating the whole staircase, hall and landing.

I'm wondering about supporting the area (holding it back in position as it has sagged slightly), then drilling a number of small holes and injecting PVA into them and letting it set.

The area is near the wall in a corner above two door frames, which I could use to support a light framework and hold the damaged plasterboard in position.

Is this worth trying? Other ideas welcome. Thanks. David

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: How to Repair Damaged Area of 1938 Ceiling Plasterboard

Post by proptech » Sun May 03, 2015 6:22 pm

Hi David

Hear's one little idea that may just avoid replacement, but you need access to the top surface of the board. So if you can lift a floorboard or two over the area.
Obtain a section of new board bigger than the area, and with the sag supported, clean off, and PVA the new board over the top.

dalchina
Labourer
Labourer

Post by dalchina » Sun May 03, 2015 7:28 pm

Thanks proptech. It's slightly awkward as that's the landing ceiling, and above is a loft conversion. Originally that floor was done in some sort of large composite board, but I recall there is a section some electrician cut out under the bench that stands above it. In fact, that could even have been when the damage was done..

I'll have a closer look at how the cut-out section is fixed, and try to work out whether it lines up with the part of the ceiling I'm concerned about.

Regards, David

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Post by proptech » Mon May 04, 2015 5:49 pm

Just a thought David, are you sure it is plasterboard. Reading your post again, I'm a little surprised as in the 30s most ceilings were lath and plaster.

dalchina
Labourer
Labourer

Post by dalchina » Tue May 05, 2015 6:15 am

Hi, thanks, granted. It, and other ceilings, sound more like a board from the hollow sound when I tap them. Also there are a couple of fine fairly straight cracks which suggest board edges. Plasterboard was available by then (I did a quick bit of research).

Also thinking about it I have had floorboards in the landing up (replacing parts damaged by those tradesmen who hack them to do electrical work) and I was looking at a flat surface, not the back of lath and plaster.

The ceilings certainly predate 1958, when my parents moved in- I suppose it's possible they were replaced at some point before then... but the downstairs ones sound the same if I tap them.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:16 pm