rail/track saw options
Ask questions and find answers on all aspects of tools including hand & power tools.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bleicker
Apprentice
Apprentice

rail/track saw options

by bleicker » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:32 pm

I was looking at an entry level track saw or rail saw (not sure what is the best name) and I was eyeing the Evolution R185CCSX+ as it seems to be a interesting DIY option. The saw cost £90, the 2800mm tracks cost £77, but when I started checking the reviews of the track, it seems to be crap, not accurate. As I'm planning to start doing a lot of DYI and get more into woodwork, I was hoping to get something that is not crap, but also not expensive. Is there something decent around the £150-£250 mark for a saw + track of decent size or should I be aiming at a lot more?

randomdiyguy
Labourer
Labourer

Re: rail/track saw options

by randomdiyguy » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:04 pm

Hi, Maybe a bit late now, but new to the forum...! I've got that exact saw and track; it works great for me. Haven't used any others to compare it to, but once you've set up the track for your saw then it's a doddle to use.

There's really not much to go wrong with the track... you place the edge of the track right on the cut line, and it cuts right on the edge of the track... so it's as accurate as your eyesight! The clamps hold it in place really solidly (done some dodgy vertical cuts in my garage which didn't have space to lay an 8x4 sheet flat...) - on a flat surface you don't even really need the clamps as the non slip pads are pretty good (although clamps obviously recommended!)

The only slight issue (which may be what people complain about) is there's a bit of play in the join between the two halves; it's fine once it's tightened up, but it's possible to tighten it up out of line - easy enough to fix by just holding a level or straight edge next to the track as you tighten it up...

Hope that's of some use!

Ian

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:14 am