Rattling coming from Chimney, but can't hear anything from it in Attic
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Auggers
Labourer
Labourer

Rattling coming from Chimney, but can't hear anything from it in Attic

by Auggers » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:29 pm

Hello,

I hope this is the correct place to post.

I have a rattling/squeaking noise which sounds like it's coming from the Chimney and can only be heard when it's windy. I can hear it on the ground floor when in the living room, and also in my bedroom which the Chimney wall goes through, though I cannot hear it when I'm in the attic and my ear pressed up against the wall.

I live in a Semi-detached house, the Chimney being connected to the other house. I have had a look at the aerial which seems to be attached to the chimney and doesn't look like it's moving though I cannot tell for sure as I cannot get onto the roof.

I had some work done when changing from Oil to Gas heating in the house, and I believe that's when the noise started. I have checked under the floorboards around the chimney, and cannot hear the noise coming from there or feel any draft that would cause it.

Can anyone throw me some advice about where I could check next, or give me an idea of what could be causing it?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Rattling coming from Chimney, but can't hear anything from it in Attic

by stoneyboy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:00 pm

Hi auggers
If a flue liner was fitted it is likely that this is rattling in the original chimney.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:13 am