Remote light switch for stairs in bedroom
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Froggie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Remote light switch for stairs in bedroom

by Froggie » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:22 am

First I am not going to attempt something too difficult or dangerous but wanted to know if simple solution.

I have a bedroom where only light switch is at bottom of stairs so wanted to connect remote light switches so could turn on/off upstairs and downstairs.

The bedroom is lit by two high wall lamps that are connect to power supply and switch in a round 4 terminal box. Second lamp is otherside of chimney breast from first one.
So, I fitted receiver for remote according to instructions and works a treat - no problems there.

HOWEVER, also in junction box is another cable that takes power onto rooms at back of house - all of which now only come on when the bedroom light is on - that is when the receiver of remote switches is on. As long as this is case the other room lights work on/off with their own switches.

If it were possible/safe I need to separate the cable for back of the house from the circuit supplying bedroom lights.
Not sure how useful the photo is, but
white cable is where the power comes in,
the bedroom switch is labelled,
cable leading to right goes to first bedroom lamp
on LEFT there are actually 2 grey cables, one goes to other bedroom lamp and other goes on to other rooms

Can this be done?
I thought I could split power supply (white cable)currently entering this 4 terminal junction box into two routes. Continue to let one route run into junction box and connect second one directly to cable leading to rear of house? Naturally with a separate junction box, etc
Any thoughts?

Clearly, I am not an electrician but I don't seem to be altering any load or usage as far as I can see, just dividing existing supply so remote receiver only affects bedroom. The power supply will still only supply what it did before but just not thru one junction box.

Any advice is welcome - including don't do it, if I am proposing something that needs a qualified electrician
Thanks
Attachments
thejunctionbox.jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Remote light switch for stairs in bedroom

by Mr White » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:22 pm

The answer is when you said
Froggie wrote:LEFT there are actually 2 grey cables, one goes to other bedroom lamp and other goes on to other rooms"

You are switching BOTH cables with your remote switch, you need to only switch the one for the bedroom lights.

Froggie
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Froggie » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:05 pm

Yes, i got why it is happening, but still need to know if I can safely divide the power supply using 2 junction boxes to supply bedroom circuit and rest of house independently rather than how they are in present junction box.
If I can separate them I can put the receiver in just one circuit.
However my concern is about any safety issues in taking power supply to a junction and then taking the two separate outputs from it.
Indeed as the photo sShows, cable for power in is so short I will probably need to extend it (third junction box!) before starting principal job

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:31 pm

I have looked at your picture and tried to work out what you have and this seems to be what you are saying.
[attachment=0]Temp-diy-doctor.jpg[/attachment]
That seems to be as I would expect, and it should work, but you talk about a remote switch and I can't see where that connects.
Attachments
Temp-diy-doctor.jpg

Froggie
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Froggie » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:06 pm

Hi
Yes, thats right just as you depict
I have taken the receiver out so the sytem was all back as before
BUT when I fitted it I had its IN ports connected to the power and its out slots connected to the top two connectors which at the moment take from the power supply
Of course this is why the receiver remote then controlled everything

Froggie
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Froggie » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:11 pm

Amendment
sorry, where you have other bedroom light plus other rooms there are actually two cables lying on top of one another
one goes to the other lamp (i)
other goes to the other rooms (ii)

It is the (ii) cable I'd like to attach to the power supply directly on its own leaving the rest of the arrangement in junction box alone - then wire in the receiver.
It is the splitting of the power supply that I am interested in doing then if this can be done safely the rest will all work - should all work - fine

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:19 pm

I would suggest you invest in some "wago connectors" and a "wago box" You will then have more terminals and more space (making it easier) to do as you suggest.

Froggie
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Froggie » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:30 pm

OK, thanks for that advice.
Do you mean someting like the arrangement shown in attached photo?
Input from power
2 outputs, one to bedroom and one to other rooms?
That looks ideal
Attachments
wago1.JPG

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:01 pm

Yes.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:17 pm