Removal of Chimney Stack
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nsquared
Labourer
Labourer

Removal of Chimney Stack

by nsquared » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:59 pm

Please can some help me?

My next door neighbour is having a side extension added to his house, where the side extension is going he has gone and removed the whole chimney and stack. On the plans that he submitted to the local council the chimney and stack is clearly shown, is he allowed to do this?

If he is not allowed what do I need to do to have the chimney stack replaced?

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

by LCL » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:41 pm

nsquared

On the assumption that the stack is on a party wall, party wall notices should have been served on the adjoining owner, whcih I assume is yourself, although your note implies that he is extending that way??? If half of a stack is removed (over a party structure) then notices would definately have been required. If the stack has been left above the roof line, then there is a risk of the remaining section of stack toppling over if not supported.

If the stack is wholey on his land and not part of a party wall and on the assumption that the proeprty is not a listed building, he is fully within his rights to remove the stack.

Hope this helps.

LCL

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1