Removing a radiator and replacing for decorating
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
NightShadow1991
Apprentice
Apprentice

Removing a radiator and replacing for decorating

by NightShadow1991 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:55 pm

Hi all, rookie here, not a plumber, I'm a welder. However, I've changed rads on cars before, just want to double check process for bedroom rad.

It's a tiny 600mm x400mm radiator, has been in there for donkeys years. I'm replacing with a screwfix 600x600, with new valves.

I know how to remove the radiator, lockshield valve turn off, unscrew valve nuts a touch, get some air into it and drain, remove refit etc.

However, if I wanted to replace the old valves, thermostat and lockshiled valve, as the new rad comes with uprate valves, is there any other process I need to be aware of? Do I need to turn the water off in the house whilst I do it? Is it best to use existing valves this old as they may cause problems I guess during removal.

I have PTFE tape and some inhibitor, just want to make sure I do all the processes right.

Another question... How long can I keep the radiator off whilst I decorate? If I turn off the lockshield valve, can the rest of the house still be heated with the boiler, or do I have to remove replace before central heating goes back on?

Also, is it ok to remove the valves from the pipes to replace, do I need to turn water off? I guess if heating is off, no water is being pushed through the pipes, so should be fine to do so.

Thanks all.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Removing a radiator and replacing for decorating

by stoneyboy » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:13 pm

Hi nightshadow1991
You must turn off valves at both ends of the radiator then do as your post. You can leave the radiator off.
It is unlikely that the centres of your old valves will match the new radiator so fitting new valves is a good idea.
If you have a sealed system (no tanks in loft) you must depressurise the system and then you might be able the change valves without draining down. If you have a system with tanks in the loft you will either have to drain down the system or pipe freeze the pipe before you remove the old valve.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1