Replacement Gas Boiler Query
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
John Mutley
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:04 pm

Replacement Gas Boiler Query

Post by John Mutley » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:32 am

We live in a 4 bedroomed detached house. Our Potterton Netaheat 10-16 has served us well for over 30 years but has now developed a slight leak in the main gas valve which is now out of production and obsolete. Despite trawling the internet I cannot get a replacement valve, so it has to be a replacement boiler. I have had estimates in from "Gas Safe" plumbers who all seem to tell me a different story, e.g. I need a system boiler, another says a replacementregular boiler will suffice, some say I will need a new pump as well, others say it is not necessary to have a new pump, another plumber says he will have to get floorboards up in bathroom (where hot water tank is located) to run a cable through so the new boiler will not burn out the heater (I have probably not understood that?).
I have looked at "Which" recomendations and my humble opinion is that Worcester Bosch Greenstar 18Ri regular (condensing?) boiler is suitable for us.

Any comments/suggestions/help/advice would be appreciated.

Posts: 2530
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: Replacement Gas Boiler Query

Post by thedoctor » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:39 pm

I’m afraid the plumber is correct John.

From April 2005 all new and replacement boilers will have to be high efficiency condensing boilers (with exemption in certain circumstances). This is the date when another amendment to Part L Building Regulations will come into force. All new and replacement boilers will have to be within the A and B energy efficiency rating bands.
Exemptions are based on very strict criteria which pretty much amounts to calculations on the cost of the energy saved by a condensing boiler (which is considerable) versus the cost of installing the condensing discharge pipe. Very complicated and very strict.
The regs for oil fired condensing boilers were delayed until 2007 but are in force now

An exemption certificate must be issued by a Gas Safe registered engineer. You will need a certificate to prove exemption should you sell the house

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:19 pm