Replacement outside light wiring problems
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
simon.g.w
Labourer
Labourer

Replacement outside light wiring problems

by simon.g.w » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:46 pm

Hi to everyone!

I am wanting to replace my outside PIR light with a new one.
On taking the old one off the wall I have the following wires:
1 x red thick wire
1 x red thin wire
1 x thick black wire
1 x thin black wire
1 x green earth.

On the new light there is 1 positive, 1 negative and 1 earth connection. I will struggle to get a chock block inside the light as I cannot get it in to close.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:23 am

I have read what you have said and wonder why the size of any cables would change. Unless cable go through a current limiting device (Fuse) they should be the same size throughout their run other wise it would be very easy to over load a cable when one is unaware of a change. Also why would it have a second circuit without an earth. I would want to investigate further and find out what is going on.

scorer20
Labourer
Labourer

by scorer20 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:44 pm

maybe a previous sparks ran a twin and earth (was the fitting metal) down there to make sure the fitting was earthed using 1.5mm t+e and removed a 2core 1.0mm twin which was part of a loop in loop out wiring system. and the other cable is still connected as a feed out to somewhere and of course is in 2core 1.0mm smaller than your other cable. that would be if the pir light didnt have overide sw to operate it

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:19 pm