Replacing 2-gang light switch - confusion...
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dbwsuffolk
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing 2-gang light switch - confusion...

by dbwsuffolk » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:19 pm

I am replacing an old 2-gang switch in my hallway. It controls my hall light and a porch light. The old switch does not have a COM 'port', but I assume (oh dear) that the red wire will go into the COM of the new switch and the loop from the one COM to the other COM in the new switch. I believe that the Blue wire will go into the L1 on the new switch. What confuses me is the yellow wire that goes into L2 on the old switch? Is it an earth? I wonder about this since neither the old or the new switch is metal. In any event where should I put the yellow wire on the new switch? Thanks, 2 images attached.
Attachments
Existing
Existing
New
New

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replacing 2-gang light switch - confusion...

by Mr White » Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:07 am

Red and link red into common

One wire into the bottom terminal of one switch
The other wire into the bottom terminal of the other switch

I have to admit your new switch is labelled confusingly.

There is no standard colour code for lighting circuits, but ask yourself this,
Q.why would an "earth" be connected to a terminal of a switch? It should go to the earth terminal.
A. its not earth.

I would suggest you buy yourself a device to test and identify with, it may save your life, and you can "test your OLD switches to find out what does what" I found that This one is very easy to use and understand.

dbwsuffolk
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Replacing 2-gang light switch - confusion...

by dbwsuffolk » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:02 am

Thank you Mr. White. You are right, I wasn't thinking clearly about the 'earth' wire - it's amazing how the colour of a wire can set one off on the wrong course! Appreciate the advice and recommendation of continuity tester.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 08, 2024 1:16 am