replacing an inlet hose for the washing machine
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
natomo
Labourer
Labourer

replacing an inlet hose for the washing machine

by natomo » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:19 pm

Hi,
I’d like you to give me the advice on replacing an inlet hose for Zannussi 1250.
I discover the leak from the connector of cold water hose (connecting the washer and the cold water pipe under the kitchen sink).
I tuned the stop cock near the connector and the leak stopped, but I guess I’m not able to use the washer until I replace the inlet hose.
I found the spare hose on line, but I have no experience of installing the washer myself, and I am wondering if I can replace the hose by myself or I should ask a plumber to do it.
Please give me any advice on what I should do so that I can use the washer again ASAP!
Thank you for your help.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:29 pm

The inlet hoses are simple to replace. After turning the water off, unscrew the hose from the tap. The opposite end has the same fitting, and screws onto the washing machine inlet. Just simply remove and replace. Make sure the black rubber washer is removed too as it can stick to the fitting. The new hose should come equipped with new washers.

Unless the hose is split or damaged, you may only need to replace the rubber washers which are available in any hardware or DIY store.

natomo
Labourer
Labourer

by natomo » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:04 pm

Hi Plumbbob,
Thank you so much for the detailed reply.
I will try to replace the rubber washer first as you suggested, because the leak seemed coming from only one spot, i.e. around the screw.
You wrote ‘after turning the water off’. I turned the handle of valve off and the leak stopped – is it enough or do I have to turn off the main water? (I don’t know how).
Sorry to ask such a basic question – I have to study more of DIY themes!
Thank you anyway for your reply, I appreciate your kindness.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:17 pm

Yes turning the valve should be sufficient to shut off the water. Occasionally older valves may be seized or furred up, and they do not shut the water off totally. When you undo the hose, just release it gently in case the water leaks.

natomo
Labourer
Labourer

by natomo » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:47 pm

Thanks Plumbbob,
your answer cleared my worries and fear!
I’ll get and try a rubber washer.

Thank you again for your patient instruction and kindness.

natomo
Labourer
Labourer

by natomo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:21 pm

Hi Plumbbob,
I was able to fix the problem without buying a new hose, thanks to your advice.
I appreciate your help!
Thank you.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:24 am

Cheers. Pleasure.

It's good to hear a reply. Often advice is given and you hear no more. Never sure if we have wasted our breath (or rather fingers).

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:49 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Delboy65
Labourer
Labourer

Re: replacing an inlet hose for the washing machine

by Delboy65 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:00 pm

How about removing hoses that have been connected to a machine for a very long time (that were probably over tightend in the first place)?

Tried to unscrew the plastic nuts however had no success in budging them either by hand or using soft jaw pliars :(

would WD40 have any benefit on plastic?

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 11:27 am