Requesting Building Controls for Staircase, Windows and Fire Escapes
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:34 pm

Requesting Building Controls for Staircase, Windows and Fire Escapes

by Chivs » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:53 am

I have a house which has three floors. The ground and first floor are inhabitable and the third floor is just open plan with a window at each end. The windows do not open. I want to fit a stair case and then make a study, bathroom and bedroom up on this floor.

Would I need to put building regs in place

Project Manager
Project Manager
Posts: 1995
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm

by kbrownie » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:19 pm

Hi Chivs,
I'd think you would need to ask building controls about staircase,windows,fire excapes, The layout would also include part p of building regs.

Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:40 pm

by LCL » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:48 pm

Absolutely definately. There are very few alterations that you can do to a property that do not require building control approval. Speak to your local council, they will be able to help, but a few pointers:

What are the size of the floor joists and what is their span? they will probably require upgrading.

If the windows do not open, there is no means of escape. New windows or modifications to the exisitng will be required.

The building inspector will look at things like structural stability, heat loss, fire proofing, means of escape, safe access via the stairs, energy efficent lighting, sound proofing the the house.

As it is residential you can do it under a building notice. This requires the person carrying out the works to notify building control as the work progresses and if you are doing it yourself you can ask their advice. If you are thinking of employing a builder, get some proper plans drawn up. The works amy also need a structural engineer or and possibly a party wall surveyor. find a surveyor.

Hope this helps.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1