Rockwool + 2.5mm fire risk ?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Reynardine
Apprentice
Apprentice

Rockwool + 2.5mm fire risk ?

by Reynardine » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:42 am

I'm in a flat above a noisy neighbour. I want to install acoustic insulation between the flats by cramming rockwool into the area between my floor joists.

I have started taking up my floorboards and have found various cables, spurs and junction boxes. I'm assuming these are a combination of my mains ring /radial circuit plus my noisy neighbours lights ring circuit.

None of the cables are in conduits. Junction boxes are hanging in thin air between joists ( its a Victorian terrace lathe/plaster affair ).

Is it safe to proceed and pack rockwool in the joistst , above and below the cables I have found ? Will this cause a fire risk ?

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Rockwool + 2.5mm fire risk ?

by BLAKEY1963 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:16 pm

[quote="Reynardine"]I'm in a flat above a noisy neighbour. I want to install acoustic insulation between the flats by cramming rockwool into the area between my floor joists.

I have started taking up my floorboards and have found various cables, spurs and junction boxes. I'm assuming these are a combination of my mains ring /radial circuit plus my noisy neighbours lights ring circuit.

None of the cables are in conduits. Junction boxes are hanging in thin air between joists ( its a Victorian terrace lathe/plaster affair ).

Is it safe to proceed and pack rockwool in the joistst , above and below the cables I have found ? Will this cause a fire risk ?[/quote]

REYNARDINE
PLACING CABLES WITHIN THERMAL INSULATION WILL
DERATE THE CABLES . THIS MEANS THE AMOUNT OF
CURRENT CARRYING CAPACITY , THE CABLE HAS
BEFORE OVERHEATING OCCURS.
THE EXACT AMOUNT OF OVERHEATING THAT WILL OCCUR
DEPENDS ON THE DESIGN CURRENT OF THE CIRCUIT ,
CABLE CHOSEN , AND ACTUAL FULL LOAD CURRENT.
AS U CAN SEE WITH ALL THESE FACTORS CONSIDERED
ONE HAS TO LOOK AT YOUR CURRENT SET UP TO
DECIDE WHAT ALLOWANCES ARE THERE.
U WOULD B ADVISED TO CONSULT A ELECTRICIAN
TO WORK OUT LOADS CONSUMED AND CABLE , CHOICES , 2 SEE IF RISING OPERATING TEMPRATURES AFFECT , EARTH LOOP READINGS AND DISCONNECTION TIMES .

BLAKEY1963

Reynardine
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Reynardine » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:44 pm

Thank you Blakey I understand what you say.

To solve the problem of overheating, If I uprated all the junction boxes to 30A and replaced all 2.5mm cable with 4mm ( total rewire ) that would fix the problem. That way I could still embed the wiring inside the insulation.

What do you think?

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:48 pm

[quote="Reynardine"]Thank you Blakey I understand what you say.

To solve the problem of overheating, If I uprated all the junction boxes to 30A and replaced all 2.5mm cable with 4mm ( total rewire ) that would fix the problem. That way I could still embed the wiring inside the insulation.

What do you think?[/quote

REYNARDINE
YES 4 MM2 WOULD THE WAY TO GO.
YOUR SPARKY MIGHT LET U RUN CABLES UNDER HIS
SUPERVISION.
BLAKEY1963 ]

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:55 pm