Roof lead flashing - Is this job acceptable?
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ollie8383
Labourer
Labourer

Roof lead flashing - Is this job acceptable?

Post by ollie8383 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:41 am

Hi,

I have just had a loft conversion carried out. I have attached a photo of how the builders have finished the lead flashing. This is the intersection where the pitched roof meets the chimney. You can see the chimney on the left. As you can see the last tile doesn't overlap the top of the lead. The tile and the lead are flush. A load of regular contractors silicone has been used to fill the gap. I have been assured by the builders that this is fine as there is something called a aluminium soaker underneath. I however think this has been bodged. Can anyone please give advice on if they think this is acceptable or not. Many thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Roof lead flashing - Is this job acceptable?

Post by stoneyboy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:39 pm

Hi ollie8383
It is certainly an unusual way to finish leadwork at the back of a chimney unless the lead goes up and under the slates. Build up of debris will almost certainly lead to ponding in this area and it is difficult to envisage how an aluminium soaker will prevent water ingress.
If you have not paid a final settlement I suggest you keep a retainer - to be paid in 6 month if all is ok.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:18 am