Rotting skirting boards in lower ground floor flat
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Chris81
Labourer
Labourer

Rotting skirting boards in lower ground floor flat

by Chris81 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:33 am

I live in a lower ground floor flat and the skirting boards in the hallway/reception entrance have deteriorated over the last few months.
I can see a ride mark in the laminate floor too and worried this is either an underfloor leak or rising damp.
It's a concrete sub floor.
See pics provided
Has anyone else had this issue?
If so what was your diagnosis and treatment?
Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 09.20.jpg
Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 09.19.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Rotting skirting boards in lower ground floor flat

by stoneyboy » Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:29 pm

Hi chris81,
If this is a new occurrence then a leak is the most likely cause. You will probably have to remove the laminate floor to check but for now I suggest you leave things alone and see how bad it gets over the next few weeks. I’m assuming the wall does not form part of a shower.
Regards S

Chris81
Labourer
Labourer

by Chris81 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:59 am

Thanks for your response,
I believe a DPC was done to the two internal walls on either side of the door over a year ago prior to me moving in.
I’ve been told it could be bridging to the plaster behind the skirting that may need trimming back but until I remove the skirting I wouldn’t know for sure.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:57 pm

Hi chris81,
It’s difficult to tell from your pictures but it looks like it’s a wholly internal corner. If this is the case the question is why damp should appear internally. You could hire a decent damp meter to draw the cartography of the damp and see if this shows the damp source.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2024 5:05 am