Safe Level Surface For Erecting Scaffold Tower for Painting Soffits and Facias
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Wind Gatherer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Safe Level Surface For Erecting Scaffold Tower for Painting Soffits and Facias

by Wind Gatherer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:46 am

I'm painting the guttering soffits and fascia. I've done the rear and down the side of the house. Both were straightforard, the back was on top of the extension roof, tower was supported and moved along scaffold boards to spread the load. Down the side had concrete already laid there. The scaffold tower has a pair of extension stabalizer support arms.

At the front of the house where I'd position the tower the ground is not level, in the past drive has had some scalpings put down, some in this area too.
Can see photos of the uneven ground here,

http://s807.photobucket.com/user/EarthT ... wer%20Base

My first idea was to put some concrete blocks down and on top of them, side by side a pair of 13 ft scaffold boards. Put the tower on these and lock unlock the casters to reposition the tower. A pair of boards on the ground by the wall too.

The front of the house is 16 ft the boards 13 ft so would have to buy extra to make an extended section.
I then looked on Ebay for boards, then Wickes best deal including delivery, this would be in area of £150 for the scaffold boards!!!
In the photos I've rested a level on a straight length of timber on the blocks so can see how unsquare the ground is.
My 2nd idea, I have an electric kango, I thought I could loosen up the ground with that if anymore needs doing use my pickaxe. Thought I could loosly put down a perimeter of concrete blocks, say two or 3 high, to contain the loosened earth. then level this with a sand rake I have. Then e compact it down solid with a tapper I have see photos.

I'd apprecate any members help and advice on getting a safe level support surface to put the tower on. Another idea I had was to buy a couple of scaffold boards short ones I can get in car. Then position them, then drive wedges down to hold in position, simmeler to laying concrete, then fill in with loose earth and compact it down

thedoctor

Re: Safe Level Surface For Erecting Scaffold Tower for Painting Soffits and Facias

by thedoctor » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:50 pm

Hi

Working at height on any uneven ground is potentially very dangerous so above all else you need to ensure that the tower is stable. Using blocks etc…. on soft areas of ground with concentrated weights on them can cause them to subside making the tower unstable and likely to topple. We have a project on using ladders safely that may be of help: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/laddersafety.htm, particularly the section on using anchor eye bolts that you could also use to fix into the walls of your house to additionally secure the tower.

Is there any possibility of getting a cherry picker of something similar in, or using a ladder that may be easier to safely stabilise?

Above all else, do not attempt to use the tower structure if it is unstable in any way - Be safe!

Kind Regards

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 9:37 pm