Saw Blades and Laminate cutting
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dbdunce
Apprentice
Apprentice

Saw Blades and Laminate cutting

by dbdunce » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:41 am

HELP!! Iam in the middle of fitting a complete new kitchen and am about to start cutting the new (and expensive) laminated worktop (thickness is 40mm)
I have bought a good quality electric saw but am unsure what saw blade I should use to minimise chipping of the laminated surface.
I have blades with:-
80 teeth labelled as a Veneer blade
80 teeth labelled as 0degree rake
6o teeth
40 teeth
all are TCT
I realise that I should cut with the blade revolving into the laminate and towards the chipboard base presumably this tends to force the laminate surface into the chipboard base rather than flip it off.
Should I use the same saw blade when cutting down a high gloss door (thickness is 15mm)- I have to make up one non standard space in a row of base cupboards.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:37 pm

You've got the right idea, lay the worktop face down so the blade cuts up into the laminate. Generally the finer the blade the better, though if it's too fine it may struggle to get through.

Presumably you have enough worktop to do a test - try the 80 toothed blade on an offcut first before going live on your final cut to size. If it struggles (which it shouldn't if it's a good quality saw and blade) then take it up to a 60 and do another test.

Do the same with the gloss door - bear in mind thet you will get a little bit of chipping on the reverse side if the door, though this can be minimised by clamping a piece of scrap MDF to this side prior to cutting.

Most important thing is to take your time, nice and easy and let the saw do the work - don't try to force it thru the piece.

dbdunce
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dbdunce » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:05 pm

[quote="chris_on_tour2002"]You've got the right idea, lay the worktop face down so the blade cuts up into the laminate. Generally the finer the blade the better, though if it's too fine it may struggle to get through.

Presumably you have enough worktop to do a test - try the 80 toothed blade on an offcut first before going live on your final cut to size. If it struggles (which it shouldn't if it's a good quality saw and blade) then take it up to a 60 and do another test.

Do the same with the gloss door - bear in mind thet you will get a little bit of chipping on the reverse side if the door, though this can be minimised by clamping a piece of scrap MDF to this side prior to cutting.

Most important thing is to take your time, nice and easy and let the saw do the work - don't try to force it thru the piece.[/quote]

Thanks Chris Next week end's job now sorted, at least it will be a good excuse for not mowing the lawn !!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:41 am