Sealing up an external air vent
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Reiki Sue
Labourer
Labourer

Sealing up an external air vent

by Reiki Sue » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Hi

I'm a newbie to this here forum!

Can someone advise me about the following please:

I have a huge problem each year with flying ants in my lounge (they come out mostly during the summer but also throughout the year even today i found one). They seem to be coming from under the carpet near the side wall (i'm end of terrace). Initially i thought they were coming from the ants nests on the other side of the wall. However in conjunction with a Bat problem, the Bat Inspector thought these flying ants weren't coming from the other side of the wall but infact through an air vent at the back of the house ( a matter of metres from the infestation area). This air vent is outside, underneath where my aerial has been inserted in from outside. Someone at some point in time removed the air vent itself and replaced it with a piece of metal covering the air vent space (at least that's what the Bat lady thought). There are certainly gaps around this metal and indeed where the aerial wiring is inserted.

So my query is can i seal this piece of metal and hole where aerial comes in? Or will this have an impact on my wall ventilation?

Please advise accordingly. Also if any of you know about what to do about flying ants (i'm talking thousands, it's like a horror film when they are at the peak!). Unfortunately where they come out from is underneath two large bookcases with 500+ books so it is no simple task to remedy without having to move everything which is a time consuming job. These ants seem to bubble up from the edge of the carpet in their thousands! it's gross! I've been trying to kill them off with ant powder / ant spray and ant gel but am concerned for my own well being!

If this message is posted in the wrong section please advise me.

Many thanks
Reiki Sue x

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:47 pm

I am surprised you have ant activity at this time of the year. When the temperature drops, ants become inactive unless they are somewhere warm.

Unfortunately, it seems the nest may be inside the house which is not that uncommon. Over the years, I nave found nests all over the place in peoples houses. Under kitchen units, behind baths, anywhere where it may be damp and dark. Only a few weeks ago, I found thousands of old egg cases when I moved a large desk in an old lady's house.

I have always used a spray called Ant Lacquer, which sprays insecticide in the form of a, well, lacquer, which remains active for weeks. The ants won't go near it - it really works. However, you need to deal with the nest which could very well be under a bookcase. Sorry.

Blocking the vent may keep the ants in!

Reiki Sue
Labourer
Labourer

by Reiki Sue » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:22 pm

Hi

Thank you for your response.

Well i had a close inspection of what i thought was an air vent covered by metal and then i went to my next door neighbours house and they too had this metal plate on their wall. So we established this was where the tv aerials etc were connected. So i unscrewed my metal plate, hoovered up all the webs and debris, sprayed it with a lot of ant spray, ant powder and for good measure stuck an ant bait station in the space. Then sealed up the metal plate as best as i could with sealant, along with filling any other cracks etc i could find.

I will in the new year also dig up the mounds of mud along the side of the house where the external ants live and pour down some any killer liquid along with plenty of ant bait gel which seems to work well. [b]If there is anything here that will make the situation worse do tell me. [/b]So far i haven't had ants in the house.

Cheers
Reiki Sue x

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1