Self tapping screws to hold in glass on Burley Fireball log burner?
Help, advice and questions answered on all types of metal joinery

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
deadtomorrow
Labourer
Labourer

Self tapping screws to hold in glass on Burley Fireball log burner?

by deadtomorrow » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:24 pm

We have a Burley Fireball log burner, two of the screws would not come out, after much wrestling we did eventually get one out but the last one, the top came off leaving the screw stuck in. We have tried everything from tools to reverse screw it, to drilling it out. We have now drilled it out, but parts of the screw are stuck in the thread. Essentially, the hole is ruined and we can no longer use it.

Burley have recommended a solution that makes sense, to make a new hole slightly to the right and use tapping screws they have sent us. But having never used tapping screws before, please can someone advise me how they work? Sorry I appreciate it might just be as simple as screwing them in.

The other screw holes have threads, so it doesn't feel like the metal is just a sheet, instead solid metal about 1cm thick, but I could be wrong.

We were wondering if there is another way to create a thread, or any other ideas! Thank you

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Self tapping screws to hold in glass on Burley Fireball log burner?

by stoneyboy » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:10 pm

Hi deadtomorrow,
To use self tapping screws you will have to drill a hole using a drill bit where the diameter is slightly larger than the thread root diameter but smaller than the thread diameter. Drill deeper than the screw length and don’t get close to any edges.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:45 am