Serious leaking problem with new window
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
newfoundglory
Labourer
Labourer

Serious leaking problem with new window

by newfoundglory » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:07 am

I had two new vertical sliders/plastic sash Windows fitted in Feb.

One has been leaking water into my bedroom, under lengthy or heavy rain its very bad, it tends to be a little delayed, but it can take three or four soaking flannels worth and even then still run down the inside wall into the carpets. So a lot of water. I checked the loft and roof, and the brickwork is painted.

Its a Victorian house, the fitters did not have to remove the original sashes as there were standard casemate windows there previously.

The sealant on the outside looks good, but after 3 or 4 visits now, the installations manager has said he does not know what the issue is.

These were ordered/fitting during Covid, i think both Windows were actually oversized/miss sized by the surveyor, so would not fit, and so the fitters actually cut the original wooden lintels to make the windows fit. But this might not be the problem.

I am concerned that if I have to claim my money back, and have new windows fitted, the damage inflected to the lintels might also have to be repaired.

Could anyone offer any suggestions or advice? Its mainly the water ingress that is the issue, always on the same lower corner, I wonder if its related to the space where the original weights for the Victorian wooden sashes would have been? Maybe someone has seen or heard of a similar problem?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Serious leaking problem with new window

by stoneyboy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:59 pm

Hi newfoundglory
You seem to be saying that the new vertical sash windows replaced casement windows and the latter were fitted into the original sliding sash frames. If this is the case and the casement windows did not leak you must persue the company supplying the new windows, they have done something wrong.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:01 pm