Settlement and Shrinkage
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:46 pm

Settlement and Shrinkage

by bazzary » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:58 pm

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I recently bought a brand new 2 bed flat in a purpose built block and have since rented it out. The flat is built above a car park (supported by pillars and rsj's), with a flat above it. My tenant recently told me of a sudden 'jolt' when in the flat and one of the windows popped open, there are now a number of cracks in the plaster, some of the architrave is cracked, one of the doors nor does not fit the doorframe properly and the flooring has come away from the skirting in places and is now creaky and bouncy (it's a floating floor incidentally). The builders have visited and told me that it's settlement/shrinkage and that they will remedy the problems. However, I always thought that settlement os more of a gradual thing and would not happen all of a sudden. I am going to get an independent surveyor to assess, but can anyone advise if what the builder is sayiong sounds like BS.



Posts: 2530
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:15 pm

by thedoctor » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:19 am

Sounds dodgy indeed but it can happen. A surveyor is a good idea.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:40 pm