Storage heater wiring across threshold
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
reyasuk
Labourer
Labourer

Storage heater wiring across threshold

by reyasuk » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:37 pm

Can a storage heater be wired with the cable running across a living door threshold, under the carpet, and then continue on round the room, above the carpet, to the heater? I'm not an electrician, but this seems to be completely unsafe to me. Any advice on where I could find the regulations on this would be much appreciated.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Storage heater wiring across threshold

by Mr White » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:27 pm

Any cable run under a carpet will be prone to wear and tear, as this happens it will become a fire hazard and should never be done. Also as it is for a storage heater, these do not come on until the small hours, which in turn makes it more dangerous.

There is no specific regulation that says you can't run a cable under a carpet, however there are regulations that say how and in what manner cables should be installed (The list would be endless if it were to say where you can't run cables) This is covered by BS7671

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Storage heater wiring across threshold

by ericmark » Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:22 pm

As said there is a list of installation methods and not seen one which says under carpet. If you go to Batt cables web site they do list with each cable type the current carrying capacity with diffrent installion methods.

Burying steel wire armoured under a carpet would be reasonably safe, but not so with twin and earth.

Every 5 years a rental property will need an EICR and unlikely anyone would pass it with twin and earth under a carpet.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 01, 2024 4:35 am