Suggestions for a deck roof/covering
Information, help and advice on maintaining, installing and repairing a flat roof. Post your questions and view answers here

stu_ck
Labourer
Labourer

Suggestions for a deck roof/covering

by stu_ck » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:47 am

Hi all - would really appreciate any suggestions/advice for the following:

Pics below are of the decking area that I would like to have a standalone covering for (ideally covering all of it, but possibly partially). The deck is 7.8 metres x 2.85 metres. The height up to the top of the brickwork is only 2.28 metres - potentially, we were thinking to redirect the guttering around the new covering structure, but not sue how viable this is.

The plan would be to have posts going through the decking and anchored to the ground level underneath. Then, the big question is what type of covering/roofing to have above. I'm really keen on polycarbonate (protecting from sun & rain, but still allowing light), but my Dad has an irrational hatred of polycarbonate - he thinks it's cheap shit that will be difficult to waterproof in sheets, not sturdy enough for high winds, and is not a high quality material at all. Is he justified in this thinking at all? He just wants a solid roof over the deck.

If you were in this situation, I'd love to hear what you think would be the best way to go and your reasoning. Thanks very much in advance!
Attachments
20230609_160713 (Small).jpg
20230609_160931 (Small).jpg
20230609_160814 (Small).jpg

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:54 am