Switch problems on Union Graduate wood lathe
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Hugh Sillett
Labourer
Labourer

Switch problems on Union Graduate wood lathe

by Hugh Sillett » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:54 pm

Help!, a few months ago after working perfectly well for a long time, the lathe would not turn off when I pressed the red (OFF) push switch - as I had done many times before. The only way I could stop it was to switch it off at the wall. I then restarted it and again pressing the red button didn't switch it off so again I turned it off at the wall. I have bought 2 new push switches of the correct sort and when wired correctly and I switch on at the wall the lathe runs - when I press the red button it stops but when I release the red button it starts again. Was switching it off at the wall not a good thing to do? Have I done anything which will stop the switches working properly? Any ideas please, thanks, Hugh

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Switch problems on Union Graduate wood lathe

by Mr White » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:21 pm

Without getting technical, I would say the start / stop relay has become magnetised. You either need to change the relay, or mount a new start stop button (with relay) Switching off else where is not an ideal solution. Can you not get in touch with the lathe maker?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Switch problems on Union Graduate wood lathe

by ericmark » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:04 am

The start relay often has a hold on contact, I will guess this has welded contacts, but so many methods are used, would need photos of inside the starter or some thing which gives us a clue what's inside it.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:44 am