Tall column radiator not heating up
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

Hadgee
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Tall column radiator not heating up

by Hadgee » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:02 pm

Thank you for the help. I bled both sides locked off and they were fine. So next I opened TRV fully and only just opened the lock valve. This showed promise with heat actually rising a little. I opened the valve a little more and the radiator is now after a little while at a good heat. I believe this comes under balancing the radiator which I read in a DIY book in the 90's.
So try shutting valve nearly off and see what happens. As mentioned before the hot water was just running straight through the easiest route.
Thanks to all and good luck.

bonerp
Labourer
Labourer

by bonerp » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:04 am

I've had 2 of these in different houses and neither got hit. I just think they're not great, badly made and hold so much water that this must be part of the issue..
I replaced the rad with one not so high which is alumnium and it works perfectly.
I have 2 other column rads that are shorter but longer and these operate fine.

edward yeo
Labourer
Labourer

by edward yeo » Sun May 30, 2021 5:54 pm

most vertical radiator have a baffle in the middle at one end of the radiator If the water is feed in on both ports nearest the floor, the baffle needs between these 2 ports to push the water up the radiator.