Tanking/Water Proofing Exterior of Retaining Wall
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
markbrick
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tanking/Water Proofing Exterior of Retaining Wall

Post by markbrick » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:30 pm

I live down hill from my neighbour and the there is a retaining wall between our two properties that is about 6 foot high. It is brick built and 9" wide. It is about 25 foot long. There are four drainage/weep holes positioned along the wall approx. 2 foot from the bottom.

When it rains heavy some water comes out from the weep holes but also bleeds out though the bricks and pointing in between the bricks.

I had a builder round today to see about re-pointing the bricks but he advised tanking the wall and rendering it. He actually mentioned using bitumen for the waterproofing and then rendering. I can't dig out behind this wall to do anything as my neighbour has recently had a new patio laid.

My question is does waterproofing the external side of the wall sound like a good idea. I would obviously not block up the weep holes so water/moisture that builds up behind the wall could still escape here.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Tanking/Water Proofing Exterior of Retaining Wall

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:07 pm

Hi markbrick,
The problem with tanking the wall is that water will then be retained by the bricks, during a spell of freezing weather freeze/thaw action will occur and this may blow off the render coat.
Probably better to redo the mortar joints and allow the wall to breathe.
Regards S

markbrick
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by markbrick » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:47 pm

Thank you stoneyboy. What you have advised is what I am going to do.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:48 pm

Hi markbrick,
Repointing will probably be the best solution but it’s a right balls aching job.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:28 pm