taps water flow
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
magnolia
Labourer
Labourer

taps water flow

by magnolia » Wed May 13, 2009 10:16 pm

I have had a new bathroom fitted, the water flow from the taps hot and cold is not much it takes ages to fill the bath etc. I have been told it is because the taps are modern, I did not hav any problems with the water flow in my old taps, is this right, surley any tap should have a good flow of water.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat May 16, 2009 12:28 am

Yes it is right and the person that sold them to you and the person that fitted them should have advised you properly. Clearly they didn't. Did their spurs clang a lot when they walked away?

Your old taps are probably a different design to continental style 1/4 turn ceramic disc taps which are restrictive to the flow. I don't care if the packaging says works down to 0.1 bar when your pressure is 0.25 bar. What it doesn't tell you is that the flow will be carp if you have a DHW cylinder and a CWST in the roof. Additionally the installer has probably fitted flexy connectors whch are also restrictive as their internal bore is less than a piece of 22mm copper, also he should have fitted isolating valves to comply with water regs. If he didn't use full bore valves then more resriction to flow.

What should have happened is that the shop and the installer advised you to have taps with conventional headgear. You can get modern taps with this headgear.

So, you have 3 possibilities:

1. Live with it and be disappointed with your new bathroom for ever.

2. Blag the shop for replacement taps on the grounds that the ones supplied were not fit for purpose. Did they ask you about your water system before selling them to you?

3. Get the installer back in to replace the installed taps with your new ones fresh from the shop FOC and tell him to get it right this time please.

4. Keep the taps but pump the hot and cold supplies.

Sorry to have to be bearer of bad tidings.

Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:17 am