This paint stinks!!!!
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

waterb
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Dulux

by waterb » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:48 pm

[quote="SPINEY NORM"]It appears that these odours are not just with the Crown paint then? It is highly unlikely that the same formula is used by WiCKS and Crown?
Someone once told me that the Dulux technical department told them that there is a component in some of the Dulux emulsions that can be reactivated when painted over with any emulsion, causing a smell.
Out of interest have any of you painted over an old Dulux paint when getting this problem?[/quote]

Our ceiling was previously painted in Crown trade white on new plasterboard. It has recently been stainblocked and repainted in Crown trade white from a different batch which is when we started experiencing problems with a gassy smell.

Sibh
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Dulux

by Sibh » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:03 pm

[quote="SPINEY NORM"]It appears that these odours are not just with the Crown paint then? It is highly unlikely that the same formula is used by WiCKS and Crown?
Someone once told me that the Dulux technical department told them that there is a component in some of the Dulux emulsions that can be reactivated when painted over with any emulsion, causing a smell.
Out of interest have any of you painted over an old Dulux paint when getting this problem?[/quote]

No - I painted over crown retail paint using crown trade paint and got this gassy smell! Problem seems to be solved now with 1 coat akaline primer and 2 coats dulux emulsion. Non akaline sealer wont work as I tried this too!

Susan C
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Susan C » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:27 pm

My room was painted on walls that had previously only been papered. Crown seems to be the primary culprit be it normal or trade paint. You seem very favourable to Crown SPINEY NORM are you an employee by any chance.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:39 pm

"It is highly unlikely that the same formula is used by WiCKS and Crown?"

Oh come on you know full well that paint packed in a container marked "Wickes" will have been manufactured by someone else so its quite possible that the Wickes stuff is made by Crown. In which case the exact same problem would occur. Its called "badge engineering" BTW.

Cheers

wilson1980
Labourer
Labourer

by wilson1980 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:30 pm

It may interest you to know that ALL own label paints sold through the DIY sheds and merchants are made by Sigma Kalon - Huddersfield Road, Birstall, ...
If you search the Screwfix Forum: "screwfix.com/talk/thread.jspa?threadID=87204... "

Found that link on google. I think Sheds mean B&Q Focus, etc Wickes
Crown Paints seem quite big though i think theyd make there own.

Anyone looked at it being something else than paint seeing as this means thirs 3 on here? dirtybrush? bad building design? hot weather?..dont really know what could effect it but somone will.

interesting though

kathinoz
Labourer
Labourer

Paint with an odour

by kathinoz » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:48 am

We painted our hallways and stairwell ceiling with Taubmanns White ceiling paint with Microban in early May, it is now July and the house stinks like a mens locker room or as many have stated like cat urine gone bad. The smell occurs when its hot outside and the house heats up. The smell is disgusting and overpowers the whole house. I rang Taubmanns in Sydney, NSW and the Rep in Queensland contacted me, came by took down some numbers from the bottom of the can of paint and told me he would have the sample that the company keeps tested. Three weeks later and we get a copy of the lab report stating that the paint was tested on a piece of glass and seems fine.
Clearly our ceiling is not made of glass and we did not paint over glass. Having read the problems on this forum it is clear that the paint has reacted from the previous paint which is probably 25 years old. We painted our daughters room with Dulux paint and there is no odour whatsoever. The ceiling is perfect and no smell. However, Taubmanns is disgusting. The response from Taubmanns as of today is poor to say the least, they are really not interested and now it is up to my husband to take it further up the line of management. Willl let you know if we get anywhere. Meanwhile DO NOT USE TAUBMANNS PAINTS.
[/b]

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:21 pm

[quote]Anyone looked at it being something else than paint seeing as this means thirs 3 on here? dirtybrush? bad building design? hot weather?..[/quote]

dirty brush??? come off it. building design????????

even if these were possible contributing factors it is quite clear from these posts that in almost all cases on this thread crown trade paint is the only common denominator.

kathinoz
Labourer
Labourer

by kathinoz » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:45 pm

[quote="chris_on_tour2002"][quote]Anyone looked at it being something else than paint seeing as this means thirs 3 on here? dirtybrush? bad building design? hot weather?..[/quote]

dirty brush??? come off it. building design????????

even if these were possible contributing factors it is quite clear from these posts that in almost all cases on this thread crown trade paint is the only common denominator.[/quote]
This is not only a common problem with Crown in the UK its a problem with Taubmanns in Australia. When it is hot outside the ceiling is so bad we cannot be in the house. Taubmanns thinks this is fine. Will keep you posted.

Britney
Labourer
Labourer

SOLUTION

by Britney » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:40 pm

The problem is BACTERIOLOGICAL. If it was chemical you would get this all the time with Crown, rather than some of the time. This is why the chemists have not detected the problem in the paint. Bacteria live in the polar ice caps, at the bottom of the sea, in paint, everywhere. Bacterial break down of sulfites in nonorganic matter in the absence of oxygen causes the production of Hydrogen suphide. (stink bomb smell).

I would try and antibacterial penetrating solution or changing the environmental PH to prevent the exact growing conditions of this bacteria from occuring. So either rub down with a weak soluton of lemon juice / white vinegar or any acid. This has been shown to be a successful solution by one poster.

Yes the paint above did contain microban, but it evidently created the right conditions for the bacteria which produce the smell to come out of hibernation and start metabolising in previous layers of paint. (Or the Microban failed.)

SPINEY NORM
Labourer
Labourer

Re: SOLUTION

by SPINEY NORM » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:07 pm

Please see this item that I found whilst surfing which appears to be common to a few of your comments, and by the way Susan C no I am not an employee of CP!......Google "buildingforensics.co.uk" specifically in relation to contaminated plaster board

smiles
Labourer
Labourer

crown paint - bad smell

by smiles » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:04 pm

wow I am so pleased that we found this forum beginning to go out of my mind with worry - my husband painted our bedroom over a month ago and after 3 days we thought the smell must go. However over a month later the smell is just as bad. We to had been convinced that we had a gas leak as the smell does not smell like paint. Our neighbours had a boiler put in a bedroom that joins ours and we were convinced that the smell was seeping through from their side. However gas man did all the tests and no gas leak. We were just at the stage of ripping up floor boards. We went to Devon for 3 days and first thing I checked when we got back was the smell and at last we thought it was almost gone. However as soon as we opened the window the smell was back with a vengence within as little as an hour.

I am 7 months pregnant and am very concerned about the well being of my unborn child - now we have found this forum we are gointg to use the tips that have been posted and neutralise the smell. However I am still concerned that even though we can neutralise the smell is it possible that a dangerous chemical would still reside underneath??? When will my bedroom be safe to sleep in as I have been reduced to sleeping on a sofa bed? Will it be safe for a new born baby in a couple of months? I will be contacting Crown paint as I am extremely mad that they have not given anyone the reason for what has occured. On their part this must have been thoroughly investigated and they must know why this only occurs in some instances.
Has anyone paid for or had research done to determine if it dangerous for your health? There are two issues here one is to elimanate the smell but the secondary issue is to determine whether even neutralised if the chemical reaction can impact your health?

Did anyone have any success contacting Which?

smiles
Labourer
Labourer

crown paint - bad smell

by smiles » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:17 pm

I am so pleased to have found this forum.

Sibh
Labourer
Labourer

by Sibh » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:08 pm

Smiles - sorry I can't answer if these fumes are dangerous, as I don't know. All I can tell you is that I have been assured by Crown that these fumes are not dangerous - I too had a newborn baby sleeping in a room that had the same problems as you. Crown have told me they are still testing the paint, but all tests are clear - suprise, suprise - but I will never use Crown Paint again! Let me know how you get on. I keep expecting to see something about this Crown Paint problem on the tv or in the newspapers as so many people seem to have this gassy smelling paint problem.

tiptoe
Apprentice
Apprentice

This paint stinks

by tiptoe » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:40 pm

We have had professional decorators in painting two bathrooms and a corridor. The work was finished two weeks ago. The paint used is Crown Matt Vinyl Emulsion (Trade). The entire painted area stinks. We have thought of all the usual suspects. Drains, dead animals, leaks, can't be gas because we are all electric!!! It eventually clicked that the smell appeared along with the decorating so we put our noses to the walls and hey presto!!!!
We have notified the decorators, the suppliers of the paint, (not a shed), and Crown, the manufacturers. However, we are still holding our breath, LITERALLY.
We are surprised to see on the tin that the paint is by appointment to Her Majesty The Queen. Knowing this, any invitation to the Palace that we may receive, we would sadly have to decline.
Please, any solutions?

tiptoe
Apprentice
Apprentice

This paint stinks!

by tiptoe » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:18 pm

Information for everyone with the smelly Crown emulsion problem...there is only one permanent answer. Paint over the offending walls with ALKALINE RESISTANT SEALER. This stops the smell after a couple of days and then you repaint with a paint of your choice!!!

It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:08 am