Through Wall Ventilation Products
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tom-mk
Labourer
Labourer

Through Wall Ventilation Products

by tom-mk » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:57 pm

We are looking at having cavity wall insulation installed. As a result we have got to install a through wall vent due to havinf a gas fire and an open fire in a large space. Although we accept that this has to be done, the product they are intending to install is hideous (okay maybe a slight exageration but the internal white & external brown plastic grilles don't quite match the decor of our front room).

First question is, are there any alternatives to the typical nasty plastic ones that I've so far found by searching the web? We would be happy to either purchase all components as a kit, or as individual elements (such as decorative/stylish/modern/metal grilles/vents) to make up the required component.

Secondly, are there any alternatives, such as going through the wall on the outside below floor level and bringing the vent up through the floor. (It's an old house and we have at least 18 inches of space between the floor boards and the ground level.) We were considering asking our local building regs if this would be acceptable.

Thanks in advance for any assistance/information offered.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:59 am

Follow the link through to the tool store. Vents can be bought in silver and gold also.

http://www.awin1.com/pclick.php?p=79823 ... 071&m=1228

tom-mk
Labourer
Labourer

by tom-mk » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:01 pm

Thanks very much for the reference to tool store. This certainly would be an option for the rectangle type boxes. Unfortunately the installation company have suggested fitting a core drill vent. (Sorry I should have mentioned this in the original post. I guess this is easier and neater to install from their point of view, as they just cut a neat hole through the wall with a diamond core drill.)

I have found a number of different products that improve on what has been offered, such as this core vent which has a black hole feature which reduces outside winds blowing through the vent and stops light going out vent (and I pressume people being able to look through it).

Although this is getting closer, the internal cover is still white plastic. Would you have any suggestions as to where I could look for a nicer square internal vent that would be compatible with something like the Vents Stadium BM418 Core Drill Ventilator (as above).

Thanks.

thatgirlsara
Labourer
Labourer

by thatgirlsara » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:43 pm

Hi Tom

I have just been confronted with the same problem. The insulation company arrived today to do the work and dropped the bombshell of these core vents. The hideous nasty objects are going no where near my house!

Interestingly they told me it was a Building Regs requirement so I telephoned Building Control at my Local Authority. They told me it is not something they would insist on in an existing dwelling. As long as the existing underfoor vents are not blocked up then that is fine. When I told the company this they changed their story and told me that they were complying with an industry code of practice. This I am yet to see and can't find reference to it anywhere. Being slightly cynical it looks like it's the insulation company trying to get more money, as they charge extra for installing these things.

Am determined to get this sorted out, with the ideal result being cavity wall insulation installed and no core vents. Will let you know how I get on.

Sara

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1