Tile again or plaster board?
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Danc
Tradesman
Tradesman

Tile again or plaster board?

by Danc » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:39 pm

Hi, If I am tiling over existing shower cubicle tiles is there any particular prepartion of the surface, apart from a good clean, thats required?
The existing tiles are applied to plaster board and cant be removed without replacing the plaster boards. As the entire boarded area will be tiled is it necessary to skim the boards or will it be OK to PVA the board, apply adhesive and tile straight on?

Thanks for any help....

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:55 pm

HI Danc,
don't quite understand your question.
You can tile over tiles not a problem, why do you want to skim them?
KB

Danc
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Danc » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:01 pm

kbrownie - I am not looking to skim over the tiles. If i take the tiles off they wil damage the plasterboard so i will need to replace the board. My question is whether i need to skim the board before tiling bearing in mind the whole wall will be tiled, or just tile straight onto the board?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:30 pm

Under normal circumstances tile straight on - no need to skim. Prime it first with an acrylic primer though.

However, you say this is for a shower cubicle. Plasterboard on it's own won't last in such an environment. Use tilebacker board like aquapanel instead. Tanking it would be a good plan too.

Cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:06 pm

Danc!
now got you,
Sorry for misunderstanding your querry. No need to skim if the whole area being tiled. But what I would suggest is that instead of sticking tiles onto the plasterboard, is after you have boarded out fix some 3/5mm hardboard onto wall then tile onto that, so when/if you decide to re-tile in the future it will not damage Plasterboard when you remove the tiles.
Don't use PVA use a tile primer on walls.
Best of Luck
KB

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:22 pm

tile straight on to the boards(no pva)
plasterboard will take 52kg per sq mt in wieght(tiles)
if you skimm the boards the wieght per sq mt drops to 38kg
this allows you to install bigger tiles
before tiling id advise to tank the walls go to a well known tile shop they can advise or see the projects section on the website

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:43 pm

KB / Bob

This is in a [b]Shower Cubicle[/b]. Are you sure about hardboard and /or plain plasterboard? I ain't I'm afraid.

At least we are all agreed NOT to use the dreaded PVA!

Cheers

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:08 am