Tiles over Parquet flooring
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
swlondonuser
Labourer
Labourer

Tiles over Parquet flooring

by swlondonuser » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:06 pm

We have decided to tile our kitchen and we have just discovered that there is parquet flooring under the existing Lino. Can you tile over Parquet, if so what materials do I require before putting the tiles down? We tried removing the paquet but it appears to be firmly in place. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The subfloor below the parquet is wooden floor boards.

steve61
Apprentice
Apprentice

by steve61 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:47 am

If the floor level is not an issue, and the existing floor is solid and reasonably level then it's probably best to tile over the top.

If you were to pull up the existing floor then you would have to put a sub-floor of 6mm-9mm ply over the floorboards to give a level base to work from.

Steve :D

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:49 pm

By parquet do you mean laminate flooring? If so i would say no adhesive wouldnt take a good hold to it.

I would lift the old floor to the floor boards and put down ply ontop of the floorboards using loads and loads of tack to make sure its firmly in place with no movement so when the tiles go down the wont crack with the movement.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:32 pm

personally i would not tile directly onto the parquet (well actually i wouldn't tile over a nice parquet floor full stop but that's just me!) if the floor is sound, which you say it is, i'd put down 9mm wbp ply first then tile on that. will give a more stable surface.

the parquet may well have been oiled or treated in some other way which may affect the adhesion of your tiles.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:17 pm