replacing mains water pipe
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
GoNz0
Tradesman
Tradesman

replacing mains water pipe

by GoNz0 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:35 pm

i have dug up the front garden to expose the mains water pipe as its lead, reason being is the siezed stop cock is level with the floor and welded to the lead pipe meaning i need to change it from the meter.

i have dug up withing a few inches of the meter and found they have a plastic 25mm pipe coming about 8 inch off the meter then into a universal coupler to my lead pipe.

so i know that i need 25mm blue MDPE pipe, and also know i can reuse the coupler as thats been off today to check its condition.

i am wondering what sort of fitting is required where the new pipe is going to come into the house.

i have done a slight reroute as the existing pipe runs to the fornt of the hosue then bends off up the side where its to hard to dig out, so i have drilled through into the space under the living room floor and will be running it through there and up into the kitchen..

so my question is, what connections do i require, ie what sort of stop cock and what connector to get it to copper pipe after that.

am i best going 22mm up to where it will tee off to the heating, toilet and bathrooms ? or 15mm all the way ?

thanks in advance.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:31 pm

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/74290/Plu ... CSTHZPCFFI

You need an insert for the plastic pipe, also worth considering fitting a drain valve just above stop tap - if there isn't already one.

15mm from stop tap to all appliances in house is adequate, no need to increase to 22mm.

htg

GoNz0
Tradesman
Tradesman

by GoNz0 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:56 pm

being as though the shortest length of poly pipe i can get is 25m, i was wondering about running it all the way to the bathroom due to the price of copper pipe at the moment, i only need 12m to the 1st stopcock, that will be going into supply the kitchen, then up the wall and through the floor cavity to the bathroom.

or is it preferred to go copper once inside ?

once in the bathroom its mainly copper pipe from new fittings over the years so i will be using copper from there unless you think it best to go copper from the stopcock.

i dont know much, hence asking here :)

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:54 am

Copper!!

GoNz0
Tradesman
Tradesman

by GoNz0 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:03 pm

cheers bud, guess i have a use for the pipe clips i brought here via screwfix..

so any reason to go with 22mm over 15mm ?

i guess not as i have yet to see that in a domestic supply

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:39 pm

only reason to go up to 22mm is to increase volume. usually only of real benefit if on a low pressure system. as you will be running directly from the mains there is no need as there should be enough pressure to deliver an adequate flow rate through 15mm.

also removing your lead pipe and changing to plastic you may find an improvement in pressure as well. lead pipe has thick walls: smaller internal diameter = greater resistance = reduced pressure.

by the way, a lot of hassle to resolve a seized stop cock! (unless it's seized shut of course!) you could have left well alone and just added another stop cock above it, or isn't there the room?

GoNz0
Tradesman
Tradesman

by GoNz0 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:41 pm

well the problem was it was lead pipe so adding another stop cock would have been an utter pain, in the end i managed to open the stop cock up with mole grips.

but it doesnt matter now as theres 25mm MDPE pipe running into the house now, its all good and the pressure is fantastic :)

the lead pipe i have taken out should pay for all this once its taken to the scrap yard :D

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:56 am