Damp / condensation + Air Bricks
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gilbert
Labourer
Labourer

Damp / condensation + Air Bricks

by Gilbert » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:28 am

We live in a ground floor end flat, have been there for 5 years , and have spent the winter freezing,(due to airbricks.)and loads of condensation.
We moved in 5 years ago.all the radiators -are located on inside walls, none on extenal walls or under windows--and cannot move them as council property. Double glazed windows.
we had to use the outside walls to put furniture near -wardrobes and beds etc--we kept at least 4-6 inches off the walls .howver lost over £2000 worth of clothes , wardrobes, carpets etc, as condensation ran down the walls along the carpets and up the furniture , carpets were soaked. anyway -- the floors are concrete , the council have placed 2 airbricks one 1 foot from the floor and another 1 foot from the ceiling in each of the bedrooms and the lounge, we are frozen we have had to sleep in full clothes, 2 pairs of socks, 3 huge quilts on the beds, 2 hot water bottles each.we have had the heating on but cannot offord keep it on permanently , we have bad necks from the draught and I am also suffering from neuralgia the doc bellieves due to the draughts
We have loads of condensation I have to wipe the windows and sills every morning, the window vents are open all the time.the main front door and back door have gaps all around and out main flat door is wooden with gaps as well.So loads of ventilation.
But also loads of condensation, the air vents are soaking and as soon as any warm air hits it water forms,I have had to put trays beneath them .
Can anyone help , what am I doing wrong, I want to be warm

dodo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dodo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:23 pm

Gilbert,
I'm no expert but suffer a similar problem, perhaps less severe. I'd be keen to hear what others say for my own benefit as I haven't solved the issues yet. However, I have had a go and it's helped a bit so I thought I'd share that with you. Firstly, a dehumidifier should get rid of the high moisture content in the air. The cost of running it should be low and offset by the fact that it is cheaper to heat a dry room than a damp one.
They also say you should keep your home warm. You have already tried the 3rd tactic, lots of ventilation. I have double glazed windows that lock in the semi;closed position so I use that to allow extra ventilation.
Keep lids on boiling water pans, close kitchen and bathroom doors etc to keep moisture contained and ventilate these rooms well at times of activity. I'm thinking of getting humidistat fans which come on when the air is damp but there is a cost to this. I'm not sure if either the bathroom or the kitchen is the main contributory factor and putting one in the worst affected room (a bedroom) could be noisy.

Rippley
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Rippley » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:15 am

Hi. If you've not done so already, you could try here for more advice: Google "energysavingtrust.org.uk/"
Or call freephone: 0800 512 012.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2024 5:50 pm