towel heater spur
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gpstonemasonry
Labourer
Labourer

towel heater spur

by gpstonemasonry » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:04 pm

I need to fit a new spur to power a towel heater in my bathroom, but I am unsure of the location to place the spur!
am I right in thinking that the spur must be in zone 3 (min 600mm away from direct water ie bath or shower)
and is it ok for the towel rail to be partly in zone 2 (so long as it is IP4 rated!)
any help out there :?

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:02 pm

Towel rails are one of the permitted items that can be used in Zone 1 and can be mounted above the bath but not in the bath not that it would really dry towels in that area! There is no Zone 3 in a bath room only 0, 1 and 2 and zone 2 only extends 0.6 meters horizontal from edge of bath.
The connection unit has to be suitable for the location and outside Zone 2 but can be within the 3 meters which is the closest that sockets can be mounted. I know it seems strange to put sockets in a bathroom but now there is no special regulation for showers in bedrooms and the 3 meter rule is really to allow sockets to be fitted in a bedroom with a shower is same room.
Do remember now all items in a bathroom need RCD protection.
Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:23 pm