Triple switch and outside light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ThebeardedClam
Labourer
Labourer

Triple switch and outside light

by ThebeardedClam » Wed May 09, 2007 9:43 pm

I had a double light switch in my hallway. This switch powered a light at the top of the stairs (this is a 2 way switch) and a light in the hallway. I recently purchased an outside light and a Triple Light Switch 2 way and have installed the light and fed the wire from the light through to the new triple light switch. I can't seem to get the outside light to work though. The other 2 lights (top of the stairs and hallway) are working fine with the new switch but the outside light is not.

I have tried wiring the outside light to another switch but still nothing. I wired the outside light to a cable with a plug and it works perfectly!

How can I control the new outside light with the new triple switch - Any pointers will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu May 10, 2007 8:38 pm

YOU CAN'T!
There is no Neutral at your switch so you can't make a circuit from there it must come from a light fitting, this mistake is very common & is part of reason it is illegal to wire an outside light yourself!
It must be done by a registered electrician! Regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:22 pm